Our philosophy: Never get in the way of a good idea. It will definitely leave a mark.
Our current investing team has decades of experience mentoring entrepreneurs and working side-by-side with some of the most innovative companies in the industry. And if that’s not impressive enough, consider this: They did it all while achieving industry-leading returns for our limited partners. There’s more to the story, though, of course. Read How
Namely our technology and market experience. Not only has it given us the unique ability to understand complex concepts and innovations, it’s given us the power to recognize the potential of emerging companies and new markets.
And in case you were wondering about our name: Remember Jason and the Argonauts? They set sail in a ship called the Argo, which was constructed of the strongest, most resilient, most flexible timber available. Cut entirely from – wait for it – the slopes of Mt. Pelion in Greece. (See what we did there?)
Anyway, the way we see it, our philosophy is pretty simple: We seek great minds, resourceful innovators, and resilient entrepreneurs. To that mix, we add our collective expertise as executives, managers, technologists, lawyers, and financial experts.
And, in return, we get exactly what everyone in this business is looking for: The best possible chance at success.
Are we obsessed? Yeah, but in a good way.
Call us old fashioned, but we like to surround ourselves with thinkers who share our commitment to strong performance, industry dominance, and extraordinary returns. As a result, we’ve been able to help entrepreneurs turn early-stage concepts into industry-leading companies. And here’s the best part: We’ve been doing it since 1986. (That’s right, since the days of acid-washed jeans and Members Only jackets.)
Values that would make an after-school special envious.
Integrity, trust, and teamwork are core values at Pelion Venture Partners. Unfortunately, though, they’re also some of the most overused and clichéd words in the business. That’s why you hear them in virtually every pitch for anything having to do with money. But here’s the thing. When they’re spoken with sincerity, they actually mean something. At least that’s the way we see it. Just call it a side effect of our wholesome, old-fashioned upbringing.
Our process is more like a gourmet recipe.
In today’s business environment, the speed and quality of decisions is vital to both entrepreneurs and investors. We get that. That’s why we make it our business to give quick and honest feedback to the entrepreneurs who approach us with business ideas. It goes something like this:
- You present your business plan, we’ll listen.
- We’ll review it with our team.
- We do our due diligence (we come to you).
- We then require that the company make a presentation to the entire Pelion Team. (And by “require,” we mean, “kindly ask.”)
- Then we quickly let you know if it is a good fit.
Compared to some other VC firms our process is pretty straight forward.See For Yourself
Our approach is anything but wild & crazy (Not, you know, that we’re boring.)
Here are some of the key components:
- Lead an early institutional investment into a company and work to bring in other institutional investors as part of an investing syndicate.
- Participate alongside other institutional investors who are leading a round of early stage financing.
- Build success side-by-side with entrepreneurs – we’ll even roll up our sleeves. That means fostering relationships built on mutual trust and a long-term view.
- We expect creativity, vision, and a commitment to excellence from management. And in return, we promise integrity, fairness, and patience.
- Balance expectations with empathy; demand maximum effort from our company partners without overlooking the challenges of the development stage.
- Be around for disappointments, as well as triumphs; applaud accomplishments and understand frustrations. In other words, we totally understand that it takes a few swings to hit the ball out of the park.
In short, Pelion Venture Partner’s approach is to create a solid platform from which to launch happy, successful companies. With special emphasis on entrepreneurial innovation. (Phew, try saying that ten times in a row.)